Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tony's Eulogy



My name's Daniel Dasey and I met Tony at High School in the 1980s. We were friends, with a few gaps, for the next 20 years.
About a year ago Tony decided he'd like to get fit.
He'd been a good friend to me when I needed it, and so I offered to go running with him. We soon got into a routine.
Most Friday mornings at about 6.30 he would turn up to my place in Balmain, usually clad in a pair of Wests Tigers footy socks, sports shoes, tracksuit pants and a retro t-shirt of some description.
From there we'd head down to do the Bay Run around Iron Cove. We'd talk about what was going on in our lives as we walked a couple of kilometres and then turn around and sprint back.
The plan was to gradually build up to walking four kilometres before sprinting back another four kilometres
When Tony had his breakdown in June we'd got to about 3.5 kms. It makes me very sad to realise now we'll never get to four.
But there's also a lot to be happy about in reflecting on the time I knew Tony.
I remember being on my P plates and giving Tony a "driving lesson'' around Bradley's Head Road near Taronga Zoo. Driving my elder brother's little Daihatsu Handivan, Tony bunny-hopped almost the whole way round, his tongue sticking out and a grin on his face.
I remember visiting Tony when he was studying at the University of NSW and him showing me his mastery of the guitar, playing a funky version of Walk right in, sit right down by Doctor Hook.
I remember Tony being a regular presence at the house I was living at in Ultimo in the mid 1990s. At the time I flattered myself it was because he just wanted to see me, although I soon found out an attractive red-headed flat mate was also a major factor.
I remember being with Tony at Leichhardt oval last September watching on the big screen as his beloved Balmain Tigers smashed the cowboys. I can't think of a time I'd seen him more excited. He danced about hugging complete strangers clad in orange and black.
I remember earlier this year I asking Tony to take a role in a short film I was involved in for tropfest. He had a small-ish role, but with his cheeky grin quickly became a scene stealer.
But most of all when I remember Tony I remember his gentleness, his empathy and his ability to listen. He was an extraordinary friend.
I'm sure those of us who knew him will always remember his honesty, his understanding and friendship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home